Saturday, June 20, 2009

Akihiro Sato Rising


Akihiro Sato rising

By Alwin M. Ignacio, Contributor
06/20/2009


Even with sweat pouring from his temples and beading his face, Akihiro Sato looks like a tall, cool drink of water on a hot day. Clad in a navy blue suit that enhances his half-Brazilian, half-Japanese male supermodel features, he manfully handles the intense attention directed his way, giving hearty chuckles and candidly sharing his thoughts.


From his black, somewhat wavy hair, bushy eyebrows, smiling eyes, full lips and pearly whites, Akihiro Sato looks very much like a Filipino mestizo. Only 23 years old, he is currently the toast of Manila’s fashion and advertising industry, and it looks like he is inching his way into show business, having just wrapped up an independent movie with Chin-chin Gutierrez.


Sato sat with the media together with chanteuse Karylle Tatlonghari to talk about endorsing the Blue Water Day Spa. As a model he says he needs to take care of his look and well-being. The spa offers therapeutic massages, revitalizing body scrubs and facials, plus the latest natural face and body treatments.


Aki (Sato’s nickname) personally recommends the hilot, the Filipino traditional massage that relieves body pain and restore body movements, as well as the Brazilian Crystal massage, which uses crystals from his home country and is known to absorb negative energies.


Although he is considered by fashion watchers as the leader of the Brazilian Wave that presently lords over the Philippine catwalks and magazines, Aki begs to differ. “I am not sure if I am the leader of the Brazilian Wave. I am supposed to live in Thailand (sic). I just came here to get a vacation with the hope to get work (sic). When I started to work here, nagustuhan ko na sa Pilipinas, sobra!”


He adds, “I am really happy to be here in Manila. You guys are so friendly. You guys really like me. A lot of people say that I look like Filipino (sic), and with that fact, I want to stay here for good.”


His sudden rise to fame has made him feel a bit imbalanced, but Aki is keeping it real. “All the attention I am getting now, I am just starting to be familiar about it. It’s all new for me. I will have to say that it’s not easy for me. But I try my best,” he admits.


He is also trying to learn the language. He took Filipino classes at the UP Diliman for two months, but because of his busy schedule, he has been taking private tutorial sessions instead, which normally last for two to four hours. “The progress, well, I think is okay. Pero, kaunti pa lang ang naintindihan ko,” he chuckles. “Gusto ko nandito sa Philippines kahit mahirap ang Tagalog for me pero I want to learn it well. Saka kaya gusto ko dito kasi masaya lagi ang mga tao.”


He shares, “Right now, I’m studying a lot. I want to prepare myself. It takes time, of course. Here you all of you guys, speak a lot of English and that’s fine. I want to learn Tagalog. It is my dream to learn to speak the language very well and then, maybe, become an actor here.”
He had his first taste of acting via an independent film, Handumanan, shot in Dumaguete. Sato is very pleased with his film foray. “I am very happy about Handumanan,” he declares. “It’s a drama about remembrances. I am the leading man of Chin-chin. It was amazing! I play here the role of a Brazilian model that lived in America then I come to Dumaguete to look for my mom. And as I look for my mother, I get to meet Chin-Chin’s character. I almost fall in love with her in the movie though I am younger than her. Her role is that of a famous writer.”


Akihiro reveals, “Crying in front of the camera is a big challenge for me, mahirap gawin. Mabuti na lang lahat sila mabait sa akin. I thank them, the cast and the crew, and the people of Dumaguete, for their patience and understanding.”


Is he comfortable being a hunk? “It feels great. Sometimes, of course, shy (sic). I just want to work. I don’t even think of me being famous. I just want to be a good actor and model,” he answers. “I like to do more work on TV, especially commercials because you are given the chance to act and that’s exciting to do. Right now, my top priority is learning the language. Magbasa, kaya ko na, kaunti pero mahirap pa rin for me. The moment I master the language, maybe by the end of the year, I will try again acting for TV or another film. I’d like to do more dramas and romantic comedies.”


Despite his Japanese lineage, it comes as a surprise that Sato does not know how to speak Nippongo. He speaks fluent Portuguese, a little Spanish and his cutesy broken English.
He regularly goes to the gym and enjoys watching movies with friends. His favorite Filipino dishes are tapa and adobo. Some of the actresses he finds pretty are Rhian Ramos and Karylle, who is his co-image model for the Blue Water Day Spa.


Blue Water Day Spa locations are at Greenhills Platinum 1000 #16 Annapolis St., Greenhills, San Juan, (723-4932/723-5534); head office unit 1502 Atlanta Center, Annapolis St., Greenhills, San Juan, (554-0205/584-0061); and Makati G/F Tropical Palmas Condiminuim, 103 Dela Rosa St. cor. Perea St., Legaspi Village, Makati (817-3126/817-5455).

No comments: